Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Letter # 23 - Hitch Hiking, Catholic Priests, and a Baptism - July 13, 2015

Dear Family and Friends!

We have had quite an adventurous week this last week. Getting settled into Elbasan with my new companion has been an adjustment. We have seen miracles this week though! 

As for the title of my email, today for P-Day we went to Korce and we went to this amazing Catholic church! We ended up talking to the Catholic priest about everything. It was so interesting because he told us basically the whole Restoration story from the beginning but then when he got to our current time (the part when we start talking about Joseph Smith) he said, "Yes, and now God doesn't speak through prophets." It didn't really make any sense to me. The church was beautiful but it was missing that Spirit! I am personally so grateful to know we have some guidance in our life and I know that President Monson talks to God. 

Also, a fun thing I thought I would mention. No one here in Albania has cars, so everyone hitch hikes. I remember the first time, being with my companion and she just jumps in this big van with all these random strangers and I was terrified. But that is how we got to Korce and pretty much how we get everywhere. We just ride with random strangers! But it is the best way to meet new people as well.

As for the baptism, this girl is a miracle. She came to church last week and since church is pretty tiny you can recognize someone new. We got her number and we had our first lesson with her on Tuesday. Her friend is a member and she told us that in a couple weeks she is going to be baptized in her Catholic Church she grew up. We taught her the Restoration and she was hesitant. Then we taught her the Plan of Salvation, she still didn't know. Then we taught her The Gospel of Jesus Christ, and she still didn't know. That lesson was on Saturday and I told her, "We know our message is true, but the best thing about our message is you can ask God yourself and get an answer." So the next morning, she was at church just beaming and said "I got my answer! God told me this is His church." It was incredible! We've only known her for a week! She is getting baptized next week though. 

My companion and I have been praying to see miracles together, and God just gave us one in the first week! Sometimes, I am so overwhelmed at how kind He is to each one of His children. That as such unprofitable servants, as King Benjamin said, he is still so ready to bless us and love us unconditionally. It makes me want to strive even harder to be obedient to Him and follow Him with everything I have. I testify that He is merciful, that He hears us, and that through Him we can do anything. (Because I certainty didn't teach that girl anything with language skills, it was all Him)

I love you all! 

Motra J 

No comments:

Post a Comment