Monday, June 22, 2015

Letter # 20 - Repentance - June 22, 2015

Dear Family and Friends-

Is it really Monday again? I don't know how time goes so fast here but every time I sit down at the computer, I can't believe I am here again writing another letter. 

This past week was a really good one. I don't know if any of you remember Xhoana, she was a little 13 year old that got baptized about a month ago. We starting teaching her mom, Marsida, and things were going really well. We were going over the baptism interview questions this last week and it was going really well, until she told that she had 4 abortions. We were a little floored but we just told her that the was the message we had to share: repentance. 

We challenged her to pray about it and we left the house. The next day we had another exchange, so I went to Tirana for the day. So 2 days later when we went back, I thought I was teaching a different person.  I have never seen a person glow so much with the light of Christ. She told us that she prayed about it all night and she felt like God had forgiven her.

I am not sure how repentance works for every person but I can testify that it is real. That the Atonement isn't just a word that missionaries talk about all day, but is a power with the capability to change people.

When we were visiting with her I thought of  the scripture story of Christ and the woman who had committed adultery. All of the them were just waiting for him to accuse her, to condemn her, but instead he said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone." And the fact was Jesus was the only one worthy of that invitation. But he told her to go and sin no more. 

I've realized everyone has a need of this infinite power that Christ extends to everyone. His arm of mercy is extended to everyone. There is no one who does not need His healing grace. And I feel so grateful that I have seen that with Marsida. I testify that the Atonement is real. 

I've always read in the scriptures that it is a missionary's duty to preach repentance. I used to kind of cringe at thinking that I would have to tell people, "REPENT..REPENT" like a priest in church. But I've realized we preach repentance in a different way, we simply ask people to come to Christ and through that people experience the power of repentance. 

And I testify that it has changed Marsida's life and it is changing my life.

Love, Motra J 



No comments:

Post a Comment