Saturday, March 7, 2015

Letter # 5 - March 5, 2015

To all the ones I love, jap koken time-

So that little phrase-jap koken time, is what the Albanians say to the people they love. It literally means "I would give my head for you". It sounds really ridiculous but that is what they say! I love it! 

This week, I did something unheard of...I got to LEAVE THE MTC!! This week, Sister Ariza got her gall bladder out and I was the one who went to the surgery with her! It was the weirdest thing for me to get in a car and drive down all my favorite Provo streets and go to the surgery with her! 

Everyone stares at the missionaries! I didn't realize it until I left, but everyone would stare at me and my badge and I think one guy was afraid I was going to try to convert him or something. They also stared at me because I was obviously missing my companion and it felt so strange to be alone. For the first time in a 5 weeks, I had 30 minutes of just quiet time to myself. It was the strangest feeling. 

Sister Ariza was actually supposed to go home, back to Chile. But after we fasted and prayed for her, we got a miracle! She got the surgery here and everything went so well! She said she has had this pain for the last 3 years,so she has been one tough cookie. The doctor showed me her gall bladder and it did not look good! But we spent a long day at the hospital from 11 am to 6 pm. I just sat with her and fed her Coke and cookies. The nurses also gave me a Coke with real caffeine!! I was SO HAPPY. But it really was just amazing day, knowing that she gets to go to Albania and she gets to stay with us! 

We also said goodbye to the Finnish missionaries in our zone this week. We were so sad to see them go! But we got all new ones yesterday! There are 7 sisters and 4 Elders. One sister was supposed to come but she got engaged. You don't know how common that is! It is pretty funny though. 

 Sister Henderson and I got to do the orientation with them, and it was strange to me how we have only been here 5 weeks more than them but what a difference those 5 weeks have made.They were all just as nervous as we were those first couple days. There are two Australian Elders and everyone just loves talking to them because they have the best accents. But we are just trying to help them adjust to everything because it is a lot to take in. And Finnish is one of the hardest languages.

So this week, I didn't a lot of Albanian studying and such as Sister Henderson and I always had something else to do! But I have really come to realize that the language is secondary to service. I didn't think I would love people so much here. But I have really come to care for everyone, especially helping Sister Ariza, it has made me realize how much our Heavenly Father loves each and everyone one of us! And how much He wants us to succeed by answering each and every single one of our prayers! I am so grateful that I got to experience a little bit of that love this week and know what Christ feels for us. He suffered so much for us, because of His infinite capacity to love us! Missionary work simply is just love for other people! 

I love you all and thank you for your love and support!! 

Love, Motra Jackson 


This is the tiniest letter I have ever gotten from my roommate.

With all of our favorite Finnish missionaries before they left.



More Fins.

My companion with a candy bar that describes her personality.

Sister Ariza right before her surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment